A day ago I came up with a real crazy idea for a picture. bttrflykissezzzz and I put the shot together and I think it has a lot of potential. Today I spent 3 hours editing it to produce a work of art, and then the editing program crashed. Three hours and not a single save, how could I be so dumb. Fact is, I didn't realize it was three hours, I was in my "editing zone" and felt like I was only at the computer for 20 min, well except for that really bad neck cramp, and now my eyes hurt a lot.
I use gimp to edit my photos. I can hear all the photoshop pro's laughing now, but in all honesty, when I used photoshop, I did all the same things. I was first introduced to photo editing in a bundled software package with some printer ink. This cheap little program caught my attention and my "fun with editing photos" hunger grew. I took a course in school using photoshop and this is when I got the editing bug. I always look at "fake" photos, and wonder how in gods name do they do it. I know I will never have that talent, and am content to instead, improve on great photos I take, after all, a fake photo can never compare to a real one.
Gimp is free to all and if you've used photoshop, it does take some getting used to. Many people believe in stealing photoshop and using the full blown pro software. Sure with it's excellent RAW support and tons of extra features that I don't know how to use, I could do a few extra things to my photos, but for $1000 or to break the law to get it, I think I'll stick with Gimp.
Now however it has decided to crash and leave me -3 hours in the hole. I will take more time out of my day tomorrow to re-do my photo, but hey, it's not like photoshop has never crashed on me either, just this is the first time Gimp has crashed on me. I wish I had an autosave for gimp, this way when I am in the "zone" again, and forget to save, I won't lose everything, but until then, I will keep playing with gimp and hoping I remember to save.
I use gimp to edit my photos. I can hear all the photoshop pro's laughing now, but in all honesty, when I used photoshop, I did all the same things. I was first introduced to photo editing in a bundled software package with some printer ink. This cheap little program caught my attention and my "fun with editing photos" hunger grew. I took a course in school using photoshop and this is when I got the editing bug. I always look at "fake" photos, and wonder how in gods name do they do it. I know I will never have that talent, and am content to instead, improve on great photos I take, after all, a fake photo can never compare to a real one.
Gimp is free to all and if you've used photoshop, it does take some getting used to. Many people believe in stealing photoshop and using the full blown pro software. Sure with it's excellent RAW support and tons of extra features that I don't know how to use, I could do a few extra things to my photos, but for $1000 or to break the law to get it, I think I'll stick with Gimp.
Now however it has decided to crash and leave me -3 hours in the hole. I will take more time out of my day tomorrow to re-do my photo, but hey, it's not like photoshop has never crashed on me either, just this is the first time Gimp has crashed on me. I wish I had an autosave for gimp, this way when I am in the "zone" again, and forget to save, I won't lose everything, but until then, I will keep playing with gimp and hoping I remember to save.
2 comments:
wah wah wahh you baby :P
Sorry to hear about the work you lost, but don't let people tell you that Gimp just isn't good enough. I wrote my own article on Gimp vs Photoshop that might interest you.
I have another on a personal backup strategy but "save often" is equally important.
Post a Comment